The current Covid-19 virus is immobilizing a lot of people at home. While travel bans are taking effect all over the world we can all gather around something that has been uniting us for so long: the “Beauty of Art”.
Here are some world well known museums you can visit from the comfort of your home.
- Vatican’s Museum in Rome – The Vatican’s Museums is where you will find the Sistine Chapel, one of the most tourist attractions in the world. Founded by Pope Julius II in the early 16th century, these museums boast one of the world’s greatest art collection. You can find virtual tours HERE
- National Gallery of Art in Washington – The National Gallery of Art and its attached Sculpture Garden is a National Art Museum in Washington D.C. The museum was privately established in 1937 for the American people by a joint resolution of the United States Congress. Both buildings display an enormous collection of European and American paintings, sculptures and decorative arts from the Middle Ages to the Present. Enjoy virtually through video tours of current exhibitions HERE
- Louvre in Paris – The Louvre Museum is the world’s largest art museum. Located on the right bank of the Seine, it is housed in the Louvre Palace, originally built as the Louvre Castle in the late 12th to 13th century under Phillip II. Opened in 1793 with an exhibition of only 537 paintings, its number was later increased under Napoleon. Nowadays the “Musee do Louvre” contains more than 380,000 and displays 35,000 works of art in eight curatorial departments. Enjoy some exhibitions and events HERE
- Uffizi Galleries – The Uffizi Gallery is a prominent art museum located in the historic center of Florence. One of the most important and visited Italian museum, it is also one of the world’s largest museum. It contains a large collection of priceless works, particularly from the Italian Renaissance. HERE the web-page.
- Metropolitan Museum of Art – The Metropolitan Museum of Art, also knows as “The Met”, is located in New York City and it is the largest museum in the United States. Its permanent collection contains over two million works from classical antiquity to modern art. Founded in 1870 for the purpose of bringing art to the American people, “The Met” maintains not only extensive holdings from around the world but also encyclopedic collections of musical instruments, customs and antique weapons and armors. Explore the museum online HERE